2017 08 23
2017 08 16
2017 08 09
July 2017Detty has been a member since our 21 for $21 program and has taken advantage of a lot of what OCF has to offer. Detty has stepped out of her comfort zone and has grown completely as an athlete and individual. She is a regular 5:15 am #dawnpatrol member and her dedication has not wavered since she became part of the morning mamacitas crew! Detty has taken part in the Lifestyle Nutrition program where she saw great success with losing weight, feeling better, and performing better in the gym. She also took a big leap by signing up for the In-House Competition where her team got second place! We love seeing her smiling face in the morning and she always brings positive energy to have around. Congratulations Detty, well deserved!
Get to know Detty! 1. When did you start CrossFit and why? I started with the 21 for 21 group last September. I had seen how O’Hare CrossFit member motivated each other in the Trek for Rec 5k at Leyden Township in previous years and it made an impact on how they helped each other out throughout the race. 2. What time of day do you come in? I usually come early in the morning, Dawn Patrol at 5:15 am. 3. What is one type of movement you hate and one you love? I still dislike box jumps. I’ve working on getting over the hurdle of thinking about the movement and just getting it done. I love back squats, and deadlifts. 4. Any big goal(s) set for the next year? A baby goal is climbing the rope and a bigger goal is strict pull up. And continue to improve and become a better athlete. 5. Name an athlete that inspires you and why. (Does not have to be a CrossFitter) Growing up I didn’t get to be inspired by women athletes, especially in my community it’s mostly driven by men. I hope these changes in the near years. I do get inspired by my peers and member of the gym who get better and better. 6. Tell us one fun fact about you. I’m in the board for Thunder Soccer in Franklin Park and I sometimes coach. I like helping motivate kids in the area and helping them reach their potential. Grades from pre-k through 8th grade. 7. You were left on a deserted island. What one food and thing (i.e. book, music player, etc...) would you want to be left with you? I will take unlimited amount of tacos and boom box to keep me entertained since I can either dance or sing. 8. How has CrossFit helped you in sports? Life? CrossFit has helped be more confident in all aspects of my life. 9. How have workouts changed for you over the years? I have always workout at gyms on my own. I noticed my routines would be repetitive and I would work the same muscles. And I would often get bored. I also would try to get a friend with me to join the gym but often my friends would not continue. I would also hit plateaus and it was frustrating. At OCF, I have built relations with people to motivate and encourage each other. Now, I recently did the 3-month nutrition challenge and I learn a lot, I lost 20 pounds and my body-fat percentage went down. My body feels stronger and I will continue to work with my nutrition and practice the skills learn from the program. 10. Rate the following on a scale of 1 to 10:
2017 08 04
2017 08 01
2017 07 27
Gym Closed - Saturday, August 5th and Sunday, August 6th for CrossFit Games!
NO CLASSES on Saturday August, 5th and Sunday, August 6th!The CrossFit Games is the biggest event in CrossFit every year, but usually they are held in California. Not this year! They will be in Madison, WI - just a few hours away! All of our coaches will be heading up the Games on Saturday and Sunday, so we will have no classes that weekend. We will have normal hours on Friday, August 4th and normal hours starting again on Monday, August 7th. If you plan to head up to the games, make sure the coaches know so we can meet up and see everyone! If you need a workout, we will be posting a couple of at home workouts you can do or get out in nature and enjoy the summer weather!
Thank You For Coming to the Boat Party!!
We were fortunate to have the most amazing weather for our Summer OCF Boat Party, but we were even more fortunate to have the amazing company of everyone that came out!We hope you guys enjoyed yourself as much as we did! Keep your eyes peeled for an end of the summer event in September that will be more local!!
2017 07 24
2017 07 19
Boat Party THIS Weekend!We are sailing the Lake Michigan together and we want you to come! Here are the details::
- Date: Saturday, July 15th
- Time: 4:30 pm (board) 5-7pm (Sail, Dinner, Drinks, Dancing)
- Location: Navy Pier (If you drive, try to park in the East Garage and use door 10)
- Cost: $95/person (includes dinner, boat ticket, and a great time - Cash Bar not included in price)
- How to sign up: Get your name on the sign-up sheet at the front desk!!
Driven Nutrition is here to stay!!You guy have given us GREAT feedback on the new supplements, and it seems like you love them!! We are glad they taste good, but here’s a quick rundown of WHY they’re going to benefit you pre or post-workout! Driven GrassFed Whey Protein -
- Vital to build and maintain lean muscle mass
- Ideal for helping you meet your daily protein requirements
- No additives or fillers
- When to take it? Post workout is best!
- Designed to increase energy for workout
- Delivers maximum blood flow, oxygenation and nutrient delivery to working muscle tissue
- When to take it? PreWorkout only!
- Blend of BCAA’s and Glutamine for lean muscle growth and recovery
- BCAAs are metabolized directly in the muscle, and are considered “essential” because the body cannot build them from other compounds
- When to take it? You can take it anytime of day, but it’s great pre-workout if you don’t want the caffeine included in PreWOD
- Premium, slow-absorption protein designed to feed muscles during extended time periods without food, such as between meals and overnight
- When to take it? Nighttime - having it before bed can give you a sweet treat AND help you recover while you sleep!
Front Area Renovations
We hope you like all of our new front area changes!
The last installation will be new cubbies, and our design is intended to make what you need as easily accessible as possible. Now the supplements, apparel, and all of our other products are right at your fingertips so hopefully you can take advantage of them! Thank you for your patience during the updates!
2017 07 10
- Stay Until the last person finishes the workout: We know life has things on sometimes, but no one is busy every day. The support of a fellow member cheering you on during a hard workout can be the difference between you finishing stronger than you could of. Please try to be that person
- Talking to another member while the coach is talking. For some of you older members, performance or fitness group, we realize that we program two groups and some movements do not necessarily pertain to you that day, but we are all always learning, and we would never want to be the reason someone doesn’t know what they should be doing. We want everyone to execute to the best of his or her ability. This goes for the group that finishes a class and is hanging out while the coach is briefing the next class (inside voices please)
- Be on Time. We get it, life happens sometimes, working late, trains, family etc. But, please try to be on time. This has the potential to throw off an entire class flow, especially if it is a bigger group. Please respect your time, the coaches time, and the athletes as well.
- Give your best. This is the one hour out of your day that failing is accepted, applauded, and admired. Lay it all out there.
- Leave your negativity at home. We all have bad days, we hate burpees, running long distances, or heavy thrusters, but please realize the power of your words. Not only for the athletes in your class but for your own mental health.
2017 07 05